Saturday, June 18, 2011

What Makes A Father

We are right in the thick of our parenting years. One son in high school, one son in middle school, one son in primary school. Most days we get it more wrong than right. We make bad decisions. We fuss. We cuss (under our breath, of course!). We wonder where we went wrong, what we should have done differently. Then I walk by Nick's room and see him with an open bible. Or I hear Daniel listening to a Christian song on his i-pod. By his own choice! Or I hear Jack say to me, "We're supposed to love God first, right Mom?" And I pray that we are getting it more right than wrong. That we make a difference. In our weakness, there is strength. HIS strength. Doing what we cannot. Molding and shaping hearts IN SPITE of us.

What makes the best father? A desire for Godliness. Pursuit of righteousness. A desire to do the right thing, even when it's hard. Loving unconditionally. Listening first. Being objective. And then add to that a man who realizes he can't do any of that on his own. A dependence on The One who can do what he cannot. Robert is one of those men. I am so thankful for his leadership in our home. He teaches our boys by his example. He shows them how to have fun. He spends time with them.

These things make the best kind of father.

Happy Father's Day, Robert! The boys and I love you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment