Friday, December 2, 2011

A Best Day

Many days in our lives seem to roll from one to the other.  At least in my life it seems that way.  I have been complaining all week to everyone (anyone?) who will listen about how busy I am.  Every night for the past week we have had at least two things to do besides school.  We haven't been home ALL WEEK until 8:30 or so.  The days seem to sometimes stay on repeat - wake up, rush around, forget things, cry because I don't have it all together, hurry my students through the school day, rush home, shuttle kids, forget things, cry because I don't have it all together, pack lunches, iron clothes, and fall into bed.  Some days we even get dinner.  The next day is more of the same.  Many of my mom friends a few  years ahead of me constantly remind me to savor these days because they'll be gone in a flash.  I try.  Really.  I want that perspective.  But, sadly, I don't always live in the moment.  I rush.  Run.  Push and pull.  I pray for patience but can't seem to find any...

And then -


 A Best Day.  Or a night.  Or even a few hours. 

A moment to savor all that I've been given.  Almost in slow motion, I can look around and see my blessings.  What's important.  Who is important.  Everything seems "right".  Tonight was a Best Day.  And even though I'm finding that I'm not the very-good-blogger I thought I was going to be - I want to record it. 

What did my best day look like? 

It didn't even start until tonight.

When I looked up and saw this.


I love him.  And I'm so thankful to have another chance to enjoy a little boy.

This picture doesn't do all the excitement justice.  But my mind sees exactly how excited Jack was when they announced the "special guest".



Jack went through his list over and over to make sure he didn't forget anything.  Golf clubs, video car racer, basketball shoes... he repeated this over and over in line.  Then his turn came and he got nervous and forgot!


Jack thought he might be "the one" - but where in the world was his sleigh?  Maybe in a field so the reindeer had room to play.  Thank You, Lord, for another year of belief.

Then, off to a ballgame...


 
Great form!  Sadly, he missed the shot.  And they didn't win the game.  But Daniel had a great game with 16 points.

The Oh-So-Handsome Keeper of the Clock - with his sidekick underneath, waiting for half-time so he can shoot some hoops of his own.



The almost-grown son watching his little brother play.  Thank You, Jesus, that they do love each other after all!





There are other things to remember.  A quick run for a peppermint mocha (the only reason I am still up), the comfort of looking around a town square full of people I know and love, the VERY loud singing of a proud group of second graders, family, FREE hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies for the community, the thrill of watching my boys play a sport they enjoy, the beauty of the Christmas tree as the lights were turned on...

A Best Day.

And yet.

My mind is already turning to the late hour, the packing of lunches, chipped fingernail paint, a Christmas list that needs to be checked, a family Christmas tree that needs to be bought and decorated, another late night tomorrow away from home, and on and on.  My life is so far from perfect.  Already I am back to forgetting things (I just remembered I forgot to sign up for my school's Christmas dinner and the deadline to sign up was today) and usually a bout of forgetfulness is followed by a crying spell because I don't have it all together like "Everyone Else".  Good thing for Robert that he is already asleep.

But hopefully.  Prayerfully.  I'll remember.

If I squeeze my eyes shut - and keep them wide open - as I'm running around like a mad woman, I'll see it.  

The next Best Day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment